Article 2 of the decree creating CONAC states that the Commission shall be an independent public body charged with contributing to the fight against corruption. In that capacity, it is notably responsible for performing the following tasks:
- monitoring and evaluating the effective implementation of the government a anti-corruption plan;
- gathering, centralizing and analysing denunciations and information forwarded to it in respect of corrupt practices, deeds and facts and similar offences;
- conducting all studies or investigations and proposing any, measures aimed at forestalling or curbing corruption;
- carrying out, where necessary, on-the-spot controls of the execution of projects, as well as the evaluation of conditions of public contract awards;
- disseminating and popularizing anti-corruption instruments;
- identifying the causes of corruption and proposing to the relevant authorities, measures likely to lead to its eradication from all public or semi-public services;
- performing any other duties assigned it by the president of the Republic.